[thelist] issues with floating

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 01:32:23 CDT 2004

Rob,

Don't worry. Everybody hates floats :)

See below.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:13:08 +1000, Robert Gormley
<robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com> wrote:
> I don't want to absolutely position anything if at all possible (but I'm
> realistic)

You dont' have to, although I see in your CSS that you've been playing
around with it.

> See http://www.breakfast2lunch.com.au/template.php
>
> The text in the lower section should be in a neat block
>
> Ie
>
> +--------------+--------------+
> |              |___/          |
> |             /|              |
> |         ___/ | text here    |
> |________/     | and here     |
> |              |              |
> +--------------+--------------+

Here's what I did to get your layout the way you wanted:

First I removed all your absolute positioning.
Second, I changed two of your IDs:

#contentLHS
{
	float: left;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
	position: relative;
	width: 378px;
}

#contentRHS
{
	float: left;
	position: relative;
	margin-bottom: 20px;
	padding: 0;
}

Now, the weird width on contentLHS is due to the fact that I'm on a
crappy monitor that busts its ass to run at 800x600. 378px was the
greatest width I could use and still avoid the problem. Basically, the
only problem was that contentLHS was too wide and was being pushed
down to the next fitting horizontal space because of that. Usually
this happens when you have a containter div of x pixels and you try to
put another div of x pixels inside of it, forgetting to account for
padding. However, I couldn't see anything in your stylesheet that
would be causing this, so I'm not sure why you were experiencing it at
(assumedly) higher resolutions.

In addition, I changed your footer to what I think you wanted:

#footer
{
	/*position: absolute;*/
	clear: both;