[thelist] Security code images

Richard Davey rich at launchcode.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 17:30:02 CDT 2004

Hello Matt,

Tuesday, August 3, 2004, 7:51:46 PM, you wrote:

MW> Very nice idea. However, I wonder if it would be trivial to determine
MW> how many times a given pattern displays in an image. What I mean is,
MW> the task you describe does not require that the machine be able to
MW> determine that there are three rabbits, only that there are three of
MW> something. Machines are pretty good at doing this.

I'm not sure it would be "trivial", but then having never written any
OCR software I have no idea :) You could of course randomise the
picture shown massively, with same 500 different sorts of image (cats,
dogs, people, etc) the task would become harder for sure. Then again,
I do feel this is slight overkill to just avoid a script bot from
registering on your site :)

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde