[thelist] site check

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Fri Aug 6 05:48:56 CDT 2004

thelist at punterspower.co.uk wrote:

>If you have the time could you give this site a quick test drive and let
>me know what your views are, Browser and Design issues mainly? Any other
>issues you think worthy of discussion.
>
>www.milords.com

Andrew,

Dunno what's up with that nav bar - apparently a Dreamweaver spawn, so I
would expect it to line up.  Tim B already posted a screenshot.  Rather
than using old-style image rollovers imitating a list of menu options,
how about a nice unordered list styled as menu options?[0]

In IE 6 Win XP, the logo at top-left has a gap between "Milords" and
"International."   It does not appear to be part of the design, since
it's 1-2px closer to page top than the underline below the "Welcome
to..." header.

Speaking of that Welcome header.  Nix it, or at least shrink it.  Why
devote so much real estate to a useless phrase that has little or no
marketing power, and certainly does not give any site visitors the warm
fuzzies.  If you must include a graphic al text header, try adding valid
alt text.  The same goes for other content images on the page (e.g. the
logo, the "read on" widgets, etc).

Run HTML Tidy (there's a DW Extension for it [1] ) to remove cruft like
this line from your markup:
<><font face="arial," size="1">&nbsp; <font color="#6cc0c0">
color="#6cc0c0">August&nbsp;

Dreamweaver is a powerful tool, but you really have to watch that it
doesn't get out of control.  Read one of Molly Holzschlag (sp?)'s
books/articles [2].

[0] http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/
[1] http://url123.com/csk2p  (goes to MM exchange)
[2] http://www.dmxzone.com/showDetail.asp?TypeId=33&NewsId=6477