[thelist] 3-column div hell....

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 12:08:00 CDT 2004

At 17:51 on Friday, 06 Aug 2004, Karl Jacobs wrote:

> OK, you asked for it....   :-)
>
> I stripped out all the hacks, and got the widths to work, but...   will
> this work cross browser, since I am avoiding margins?....
>
> I need to get the columns to be equal height.

then either:

fill them with equal amounts of content, or use a table.

what you really should be doing is not trying to create a "table" layout
with css, but looking at how the power of css could be used to manage your
content.

not intended to be glib or patronising, but creating a layout grid with
css is not its best strength.

why do they have to be equal height?  if it's purely visual then think
about how you could create the same effect by using different background
images or moving borders from contained to container.

as a last resort add a spacer gif to control min-height (ooh! sacrilege,
that'll get me shot by the purists)

do you have an image mockup of the design you're trying to create?

I'm sure we could suggest some novel ways that you could acheive it
without tables and without having three equal height, but empty divs.

;o)