[thelist] 3-column div hell....

Karl Jacobs kj at studio.aero.org
Fri Aug 6 12:55:21 CDT 2004

On Aug 6, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Tony Crockford wrote:

> At 17:51 on Friday, 06 Aug 2004, Karl Jacobs wrote:
>
>> OK, you asked for it....   :-)
>>
>> I stripped out all the hacks, and got the widths to work, but...
>> will this work cross browser, since I am avoiding margins?....
>>
>> I need to get the columns to be equal height.
>
> then either:
>
> fill them with equal amounts of content, or use a table.

My original point exactly.   :-)

> what you really should be doing is not trying to create a "table"
> layout with css, but looking at how the power of css could be used to
> manage your content.
>
> not intended to be glib or patronising, but creating a layout grid
> with css is not its best strength.

preaching to the choir.....   :-)     I know CSS can do some amazing
things with positioning (Zen-Garden) but it's certainly not easy.

> why do they have to be equal height?

Three columns for the front of the corporate website.  (The content may
not be exactly equal, but I need the margins and background color to
extend so the columns are equal.

> if it's purely visual then think about how you could create the same
> effect by using different background images or moving borders from
> contained to container.
>
> as a last resort add a spacer gif to control min-height (ooh!
> sacrilege, that'll get me shot by the purists)

> do you have an image mockup of the design you're trying to create?

Yeah, I could send a screenshot....   but I don't have a handy place to
post an image.....