[thelist] Question about valid html 4.01

Johnson, Christopher (MTO) Christopher.Johnson at mto.gov.on.ca
Fri Aug 6 15:53:07 CDT 2004

<snip>
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 20:46, Johnson, Christopher (MTO) wrote:
> when I check the w3scools html 4.01 reference

> <!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

So you are using 4.0 but checking the 4.01 reference? Try using 4.01.

   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
</snip>

I would love to, however, the rules for this site dictate that the doctype
that I posted be used. And you do not argue with the government :-P

My question then is if I am using the doctype for 4.0, which I quite
obviously am, why does the W3C validator attempt to validate the page
against html 4.01? In addition, how much difference can there be between
HTML 4.0 Transitional and HTML 4.01 Transitional?

chris