[thelist] Site check

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 10:36:09 CDT 2004

On Friday, August 6, 2004, at 09:54 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:

> Just thought I would ask the group for any comments or feedback
> regarding my site.
>
> I've tested it in most recent browsers on the Windows XP platform.
>
> The link is: http://fx-scripts.com/

I peeked at it in Firebird on Mac.

First impression: Information overload. Needs whitespace.

Show/hide thingies are fun to play with but unnecessary.

Style-switch is fun to play with but my personal opinion is that
style-switch is pointless unless it solves a problem (same for the
show/hide thingies.) Zeldman's site does it pretty well, offering a
higher contrast style for people with LCD screens who find the default
too difficult to read.

Not specifically your problem, but why do Mozilla browsers tend to
truncate the lower portion of list images, making you have to refresh
to see them complete?

Code: Serious case of class-itis and spacer gif-itis, and you have to
know folks on the list will not have kind words to say about the
1997-era table-spacer layout method. Even staying with tables, a more
up-to-date use of css (use of descendent selectors, and css instead of
spacers for example) could reduce the file-size significantly (+50%).

Also, if you rearranged your table code (see diveintoaccessibility.org)
you could put your more important content closer to the top (search
engines and non-graphical users favor this because you don't have to
wade through inches of links and sidebar stuff to get to the meat of
the content). You could also accomplish this with CSS layouts, too.

I will commend you for using alt attributes on your images. And the
shiny, plastic style is attractive.

Diane