[thelist] What's wrong with this?

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 20:40:36 CDT 2004

a) What version of IIS?

b) If you want IIS to use a fixed set of credentials, then when
creating the virtual directory and specifying the UNC path, there is
an option to specify what user credentials you want to use. Remember,
the credentials here *must* have permissions on the remote share.
ASPNET user account is local to the IIS machine (unless you are using
a DC as your webserver), and so you can't allocate this user
permission to the remote share.

c) If you want to use the ASP.NET process identity to connect to the
remote share, then the ASP.NET process identity must be an account
that has permissions to the remote share. Machine\ASPNET account is
local to the webserver, and can't be assigned permissions to the
remote share. If this is a workgroup environment, then you can have
two accounts named ASPNET on both machines, but you must manually
synch the passwords. Otherwise, edit machine.config and have ASP.NET
run under a domain account

d) If you want to use the authenticated user's credentials, then this
is a whole different kettle of fish. It is possible to do, but how you
do it depends on what authentication method you are using for the user
to authenticate to the webserver.
For more information on auth methods in IIS 6.0, get the sample
chapter from my IIS 6.0 security book - there is a link on my
homepage: www.adopenstatic.com

Cheers
Ken