[thelist] Question about Page Requests

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Thu Aug 12 09:09:09 CDT 2004

Dan Leonard wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a client who's using Analog 5.1 for her logfile analyzer and
>has some questions about the report output. When talking about daily
>Web site statistics, I think I understand (after doing some Googling!)
>the difference between the report columns "Number of Requests" and
>"Number of Page Requests." 'Number of requests' would be the html
>pages, plus any accompanying graphics and linked javascript/css files
>that are served up by the server? 'Number of page requests' would be
>just the html files served up? Am I correct so far?

yep. That's the way it's described in the analog documentation. PHP, ASP
etc are counted as pages as well - if you have your analog.cfg setup
correctly.

>I thought I also understood the issue of browser caching and how that
>affects statistics. But I'm stumped! What I don't understand is this:
>for August 5th, her output report says the number of requests is 7,
>yet the number of page requests is 0. Can anyone give me an
>example/scenario of how this would happen? Am I right in thinking that
>in order for the total requests to be greater than 0, the page
>requests would have to at least be 1?
>
>Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

it could be something as simple as her server being down that day - or
if she is getting only a handfull of page views in a given day it there
is good probability of a 0 requests day. I wouldn't worry too much about
it.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.