[thelist] Value of Input with CSS

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 12:09:43 CDT 2004

I don't think it is possible, BUT I though I'd ask anyhow.

I am creating a style that will be used to highlight a form's input field
when the user has failed to enter their information.  So far I have this:

.errorText {            /*this colors the text above the field*/
    color: #c00;
    }
.errorField {            /* this colors text field that is empty */
    border: 2px inset #C00;
    background: #ffc
    }

Is it at all possible to use CSS to fill in the empty (and now highlighted)
text filed with a message say something like "You must fill this in"  I am
pretty sure that CSS cannot set text field values, but that is pretty much
what I am looking for.

I'm sure there are other ways of sorta' faking this with CSS (some sort of
positioning and z-index?) but it has to work in IE 5.5, 6, and AOL 8.0 and
9.0.

Thanks,
Jono