[thelist] Deploying Video with Flash

Clive R Sweeney clive at designshift.com
Thu Aug 12 21:12:17 CDT 2004

Kent Rygiel wrote:
> I am interested in opinions about deploying video using Flash. What
> possible disadvantages could there be in deploying video using Flash
> as opposed to Real/Windows/Quicktime. It seems to me that most people
> have the Flash plug-in and that there will actually be fewer
> instances of the user needing to download new software if I just go
> with Flash. Quality is as good. Size is good. Why would I want to
> use anything other than Flash?

I'm with you. Back in February I wrote a small article, "Video in Flash: a new dimension" -- http://www.designshift.com/onpoint.html -- that attempts to explain the definite advantages of Flash for presenting video online. Basically I advocate using Flash video because:
* More users already have the Flash plugin (and if they don't, the plugin is a smaller download than other video players);
* Flash movies can easily play in the current Web page;
* Flash videos can be designed with an interface that best suits the video and the webpage;
* Videos in Flash can include interactivity and can be combined with other elements -- graphics, text, animations, even other videos -- making them even more effective.

--
Clive R Sweeney
Designshift | Durham NC