[thelist] Which RDBMS?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 12:02:55 CDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:02:05 +0300, Kasimir K <evolt at kasimir-k.fi> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd love to hear your views on different RDBMSs. Are the proprietary
> ones (MS SQL Server, Oracle, ...) better than open source (MySQL,
> Postgre, ...) or are they just more expensive?

No one is going to be able to answer this question without a
description of what you're trying to do and what kind of operations
(selects / updates) you expect will be performed and their
frequencies.

> My own favorite is MySQL, and from my experience I know that very well
> suffices for small systems like simple CMS etc. But what if I do bigger
> things, where the volume is gigabytes? Or systems requiring transaction
> safe tables and receiving hundreds of queries per second?

If you are creating an application where data integrity is essential,
MySQL is probably not the best option for you, in its present state.
Additionally, if you are writing applications where you are going to
be updating considerably more often than querying, then MySQL might
also not be your best option.

But these are just shots in the dark without knowing what you're
writing. They are also opinions that someone on this list will almost
certainly disagree with. So, grain of salt.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com