[thelist] change apache port on linux

David Bindel dbindel at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 11:57:09 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 10:19, Joel D Canfield wrote:
> I want to be able to connect to the web server on my linux box from
> outside my network. My router sends all port 80 traffic to my Windows
> web server. I'd like to have it send another port to the linux box's IP.
>
> The apache docs seem to say that the default port for apache is 8080 but
> trying to connect to the machine across my network thus
>
>   http://orkney:8080
>
> results in an error, even if I explicitly add 'Listen 8080' to
> httpd.conf.

I'd double-check that orkney is the name of your router and NOT your
Windows machine.  If orkney *is* your Windows box, then it would be no
surprise that port 8080 isn't being routed to the Linux box.

Also make sure that port 8080 is not blocked if Linux is running any
kind of firewall.

Those are my best guesses, everything else you described sounds fine.

HTH,
David

--
David I. Bindel, Website Developer