[thelist] change apache port on linux

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sun Aug 15 12:52:33 CDT 2004

> >   http://orkney:8080
> >
> > results in an error, even if I explicitly add 'Listen 8080' to
> > httpd.conf.
>
> Uh, a bit of missing info here --
>
> What version of Apache, what error? Can you see that the
> httpd process actually started up?

Sorry; bit foggy this morning.
In the above, orkney is the linux box
Error is 404 page not found
Apache is v 1.3.23-11
I can access pages using http://orkney/ and I've manually verfied that
httpd is running

> Have you run `apache -t` and `apache -S` to check your httpd.conf?
>
> And, not knowing what Linux distro you're running, I'd still
> guess you need to explicitly allow access to port 8080
> through iptables.

RedHat 7.1

Okay; I'll check into that. If you have any tips, I'd appreciate hearing
'em, since I have no clue what you're talking about. Since all my
business sites are on the default port 80 being forwarded from the
router, and this is for testing, I'm not interested in changing the
Windows box, so I need to get the linux box configured to do this.

Though I think I know something about web servers, I'm no Linux genius,
so I'm probably way over my head here.

joel