[thelist] Which RDBMS?

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 20:00:11 CDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:02:05 +0300, Kasimir K <evolt at kasimir-k.fi> wrote:
> I'd love to hear your views on different RDBMSs. Are the proprietary
> ones (MS SQL Server, Oracle, ...) better than open source (MySQL,
> Postgre, ...) or are they just more expensive?

Define "better"? :-)

Oracle and SQL Server (and DB2, and Sybase Adaptive Server) all have
various features that you will not currently find in mySQL (for
example). Whether you need these features is another issue.

Even the Jet engine will handle a 2 GB database, but there are no
seperate transaction logs, lack of concurrent query handling, no
transaction isolation levels, no log shipping, no partition spitting,
no clustering support, few backup options (eg you can do a complete
file level backup only, not differential backups), few client
connectivity options (HTTP and file based only, not raw sockets, named
pipes etc). So handling lots of data isn't the only concern.

Cheers
Ken