[thelist] Deploying Video with Flash

Rich Osborne R.M.Osborne at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 03:56:22 CDT 2004

jj said:

>> Note that you can load in a small, quick initial base level content in
>> first, ideally with some manner of preloader content as an instant visual
>> cue to the user that things are loading, not broken.

>> This maintains politeness so that the user immediately sees both the web
>> page content and the base level/preloader clip (some form of content),
>> providing some content for viewing while the video clip loads in.

Thanks for the feedback, but bear in mind that we're talking about
deployment on CD-ROM here, not the web, so (allegedly) there should be no
need for a preloader. In the end I did put one on, but mainly because the
flash file was delaying the entire HTML page from loading, not just the
flash part, and as I stated before this delay was directly related to the
size of the flash file.

In fact it wasn't a preloader, but a simple button to click which then
loaded in the video .swf in, but this still left a long pause before the
video would play, so there is definitely some bug there.

I'd try to tell Macromedia, but to be honest it's so bloody difficult to
communicate with companies these days, even if you're trying to help, that
it's not worth the time!

Rich Osborne.