[thelist] adding PHP and MySQL to RedHat

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:23:59 CDT 2004

I have to agree, installing MySQL and PHP, or any other app, onto a
Linux box can be a very hard and frustrating thing to do when you are
first starting out. I think most people forget that.

In terms of finding a distro that will meet your needs, head on over
to DistroWatch[1] and compare all the different kinds that are out
there. Two that I would recommend are Mandrake[2] or SUSE Pro[3].
Either of these should have what you need. If you want to stick with
Red Hat, then I would suggest you go with White Box Linux. It is a
clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3 that is available for free and
very well supported. However, it does not contain mysql 4 (you would
have to install that yourself, and when I get it all figured out I
will post a tutorial on my web site about doing a full install.)

I would definitely stay away from Gentoo, Debian, *BSD. Allthough all
of these distros are excellent and make package management a breaze,
installing each is a pain in the neck. I installed Gentoo linux onto a
computer and it took me about 4 days of solid installing just to get a
working OS and desktop environment. That is way too long to wait for
any install.

One advantage of Mandrake is the user community. Check out
MandrakeUsers[5] for any help you may need.

[1] http://www.distrowatch.com
[2] http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
[3] http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/prof/index.html
[4] http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/
[5] http://www.mandrakeusers.org
--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd