[thelist] A sledgehammer when a hammer will do

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Aug 16 11:45:56 CDT 2004

Tom Dell'Aringa noted:

>>expect resistance ...

+1!

;-)

Hi Tom || Ken,

I also work in a 'large corporate environment'.

Worldwide we probably have a little bit of everything ... ASP running
off an Access backend, Cold Fusion, ASP running off an Oracle backend,
Brio, Business Objects, ASP running off a SQL Server backend, JSP, and
I'm not sure what else. Some things run on Windows boxes - some on
'Nix boxes.

My little corner of the world currently runs Brio and ASP off Oracle
and MS SQL server databases on a Win box.  My infrastructure team
wants to move us to Business Objects running on a 'Nix box.

I'm 'resisting'.  ;-)

I don't mind the 'Nix box. But I would prefer not to trade Brio for
Business Objects. (And I'm also more than a little peeved about the
prospect of losing language level control.)

In a similar boat,

RonL.
(Who notes that in a 'large corporate environment' technical issues
usually come with 'political' and 'budgetary' wrappers.  The technical
issues are usually the easiest of the three to solve.)