[thelist] Virtual private server vs. managed dedicated server

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Mon Aug 16 14:37:46 CDT 2004

Peter Van Dijck wrote:

> Thanks. So is it true that with a VPS you are responsible yourself for
> security updates and such?

With some, yes, other no. You simply have to find out what the provider
offers for how much.

I would suggest the dedicated server if you are going to provide hosting
services so that it is "your" box and your stuff is the only thing on
it, and you have full root access.

With CPanels, the server side has automatic updates to handle the
updates/patches. Occasionally you have mannually start the update script
but the rest is automated.

One of the reasons I like Beachcomber, is that they offer additional
server management as an add on service (at a reasonable price) if you
wish to use it. They also provide as needed admin/troubleshooting on a
per hour basis. In two and half years I never needed either.

Ron D.