[thelist] PHP official certification

Richard Davey rich at launchcode.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 17:35:38 CDT 2004

Hello Rob,

RS> Greeeaaattt.. Another "certification". That's what makes me so mad about
RS> development is that people have commercialized just about everything these
RS> days.

Development IS a commercial industry (unless you do it for fun, in
which case fine, certification is useless to you). Official
certification is nothing more than a "coming of age" thing.

RS> How much weight does it have? I'm guessing not much.

If I had 50 CVs on my desk and saw someone had bothered to take the
time to certify themselves via the official Zend program, sure it'd
have more weight. If I was searching for a contractor to work on a
project, it would at least help to perk my initial interest in that
candidate ready for more questioning. It is currently exclusive enough
to hold significant weight.

The only other real bonus is that you're listed as such on Zend's web
site, which at the very start (i.e. now) would be a significant bonus
for any serious professional PHP developer, although this will dwindle
over time.

The major problem with it is that it only covers PHP 4, that and the
study guide isn't exactly the best edited book I've ever seen (see my
review of it in the next issue of International PHP Magazine).

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde