[thelist] wiki

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Wed Aug 18 08:22:59 CDT 2004

Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:
> Pete Prodoehl wrote:
>> Agreed. Just dropping the wiki culture on people can be hard. <snip>
>> Still, I've put them to use internally as ad-hoc knowledge bases and
>> it's worked pretty well, even if it's just a few people that use them
>> and get something useful out of it.
>
> Perhaps an actual knowledgebase would be more appropriate?  I haven't
> been able to get any clients to use a wiki, but KBs with their
> categories-and-articles structure seems to be approachable for most
> non-tech staff users to maintain.  End-users are often familiar with KBs
> as well (even if they don't know the word "knowledgebase"), and provided
> it's fulltext searchable, it may be a better solution.

Well, I was going for quick-n-easy, and something more casual than a
'knowledge base' which sounds all official, and might frighten people
even more...

The Wiki has actually worked quite well. There are just a few regular
users, but if anyone gets any benefit out of it (even if it's just me)
then it's worth it.

The maintenance is as minimal as could be, and setup/installation was a
5 minute affair...

Pete