[thelist] "PHP or ASP?" dilemma, strict company rules, and a hybrid web site.

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Wed Aug 18 12:28:45 CDT 2004

> Executive officer told me to use MS technologies

But he probably did not forbid using web standard technologies like CSS?

> Learning programming languages is not a problem for me

Then using C# instead of PHP surely is not a problem.

> I can continue developing web applications with ASP.Net, as they wanted, but
> develop portal with PHP, design a CSS enabled website, then show ASP.Net
> web applications in (i)frames.

Between the lines I read that you think it is possible to build "CSS
enabled website" only if you use PHP, not when you use ASP.net - but
ASP.net and PHP are the server side logic, while CSS is the client side
peresentation. Whether you use PHP or ASP.net has no implications on
your use of CSS.

> We can't stop using ASP.Net, but I can't design pretty pages with
> Visual Studio...

Well, don't use Visual Studio - you could write your C# and CSS in
Notepad - it's MS technology ;-)

Seriously, build your site as you would build it using your old methods,
but instead of writing PHP code just write C#. How would that sound to you?

.k