[thelist] PHP or ASP? " dilemma, strict company rules, and hybrid web site.

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Aug 18 17:52:25 CDT 2004

On 18/08/2004 3:40 PM -0500 Seth Thomas Rasmussen wrote:
> Um, PHP because it is just as powerful if not more so, and it is an
> open-source tool supported by a large and ever-growing community of people
> dedicated to making quality products. Microsoft... is not that. Don't
> support them if you have any choice.

This topic is running wildly off-topic but, to get back to the original
poster's question, perhaps it's worth considering (crazy, I know) the
REASONS the boss wanted MS-only development. Maybe, just maybe, it's
actually been thought through.

It sounds suspiciously like EVERYTHING else in the business is MS
technology, for a start. Sure, you might prefer PHP -- but then, what
happens after you leave? The boss has to suddenly hire a PHP person to take
care of your work, as well as the C# person to take care of the rest? They
won't be able to reuse any code you've written elsewhere, either.

Maybe the company has existing relationships with Microsoft which it is
able to exploit in terms of sales, upgrades, consulting, or support.

Maybe it has existing relationships with .net contractors who the CEO is
comfortable with using if he/she needs work done suddenly in the future.

Using your position as a 'technical expert' to influence the company's
opinion in favour of what you think is the better option is one thing. But
apparently undermining a direct instruction because of personal preference
seems to be a good way to weaken both the company's and your long-term
position, in my opinion.

Paul