[thelist] "Hand Coding" in DWMX2004

Mac Jordan mac.jordan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 07:27:37 CDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:08:33 +0300, Burhan Khalid <thelist at meidomus.com> wrote:
> A recent example that frustrated me:
>
> The task was to simply replace "Copyright 2004" with "Copyright &copy;
> 2004" over a set of 5 files. So, I used the neat
> replace-in-files-in-directory featuere. I chose the text that I wanted,
> and the replacement that I wanted.

> On the first try, I got "Copyright &amp;copy; 2004" as the replacement.
> So I figured I must have chosen the wrong thing to search for (ie, code,
> or text). So I decided to search in code. Then I got "Copyright
> &amp;&amp;copy; 2004". :|

I do S&R site wide in source code frequently - DW has never got it
wrong for me.  I'd blame pilot error here.

> While editing text in "design" mode, if you hit more than two spaces,
> the extra spaces are not "visible". As a habit, I type two spaces after
> end of sentence punctuation.  In Dreamweaver, the two space trick
> doesn't work. If you want a deliberate space, say four spaces, you have
> to go into code mode and enter &nbsp;

I've always understood it to be bad coding practice to use two spaces.
 However, rather than go into the code, just hit Cmd-Shift-Spacebar
(on a Mac - can't remember what it is in Windows), and it will insert
the extra space while you're in WYSIWYG mode.

use Dreamweaver, don't use Dreamweaver - but read the help files and
get to know it a bit before you slag it off.

--
mac jordan
home: www.kestrel.org