[thelist] "Hand Coding" in DWMX2004

Scott Brady dsbrady at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 07:40:07 CDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:09:45 -0400, Clive R Sweeney  wrote:
> When discussing hand-coding, I would agree that comments of "elitism"
> are uncalled for. Personally I would love a WYSIWYG program that (a)
> would not mess with my markup and (b) would actually display pages as
> they display in most modern browsers.

No WYSIWYG tool is ever going to show you how the page will look
EXACTLY as it does withn the browsers as you're working. For one, not
all the browsers render exactly the same, so you'd have to set it to a
specific browser.  Second, when you're working, it helps to see the
"invisible" elements (such as highlighting the "borders' of a
borderless table, non-breaking spaces, etc.).  This inevitably takes
up a little real-estate that it wouldn't inside a browser. Dreamweaver
MX 2004 is certainly better at this then it used to be.  It doesn't
show things like line-breaks and non-breaking spaces with special
characters as it used to.  It does show the "invisible' table borders
and form "borders".

However, in Dreamweaver MX, you can also use "Server Debug" mode to
show how the page looks inside a browser in Dreamweaver (I suspect
it's only IE), along with the F12 options to preview in specific
browsers.

When you're hand-coding, does it show you exactly how it looks in
browsers as you go?  :)

(For what it's worth, I'm a hand-coder myself, but I can appreciate
how far DW has come)

Scott