[thelist] "Hand Coding" in DWMX2004

Clive R Sweeney clive at designshift.com
Sat Aug 21 10:13:22 CDT 2004

Scott Brady said the following on 8/21/2004 8:40 AM:

>No WYSIWYG tool is ever going to show you how the page will look
>EXACTLY as it does withn the browsers as you're working.

Actually I only asked that it "display pages as they display in most
modern browsers", i.e. Firefox, Netscape 7+, Mozilla, Opera, Safari,
IE6. Nowhere did I use the word "EXACTLY". If the browsers I've named
can all show a page essentially the same way, I'd like a WYSIWYG program
to show the page that way too. As I said, it may be that Dreamweaver can
do that now, but the last time I checked, it had difficulty with
CSS-based layout.

>When you're hand-coding, does it show you exactly how it looks in
>browsers as you go?  :)

When I'm hand-coding, I haven't spent hundreds of dollars for a WYSIWYG
program.

>(For what it's worth, I'm a hand-coder myself, but I can appreciate
>how far DW has come)

Definitely, but this topic started  with the question, "Why do so many
people bash Dreamweaver MX and say that they prefer to 'hand code'?" I
can't say I've heard that much actual "bashing" here -- except perhaps
for bashing "elitist" hand-coders -- but there have been some good
reasons presented as to why some people still prefer to hand-code.

--
Clive R Sweeney
Designshift.com | Durham NC