[thelist] Windows Media 9 and Mozilla/Netscape 7

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 26 20:58:29 CDT 2004

Apparently it is possible to play embedded Windows Media 9 in a web
page using Mozilla and Netscape 7.

What I've read suggests that Netscape 7 comes with the required plugins
installed, and you can install ActiveX for Mozilla to use.

Well, I installed Netscape 7 (on Windows XP Pro) and I downloaded and
installed the ActiveX controls that Mozilla (I have Firefox) supposedly
uses, running the little script that comes with it that tells you
everything is installed correctly. But embedded Windows Media does not
play or display in either browser. Trying to instantiate the ActiveX
control using Javascript fails with an error. If I type in
about:plugins it says I have Windows Media Player plugins installed and
enabled. But neither browser works.

I do have the correct Windows Media 9 installed on my PC because it is
my job to work with it. All works ok in IE.

Is there something I haven't tried?

Diane