[thelist] IIS stopped working

Sam Carter scforum at iness.com
Sat Aug 28 20:21:36 CDT 2004

The machine is Windows 2000 Server. All other services are running except
the ftp and WWW of IIS 5.0.

Based on the error message, I looked up on Microsoft Knowledge Base. It said
the machine without RPC Locator service, which is installed alone with
"Client for Microsoft Network". I verified that the machine does have that.
So I removed the "Client for Microsoft Network" and it also removed RPC
Locator, then installed  the "Client for Microsoft Nework" back and made
sure "RPC Locator" is running. However, the problem remains.

I couldn't find more clue for fixing the problem. Should I reinstall the IIS
5.0?

I've attached a zip file with the error message

Sam