[thelist] nice easy Unix distro installation?

David Siedband technique at oceanicsky.com
Mon Aug 30 01:02:20 CDT 2004

I'd recommend FreeBSD [1].  I've found it to be the most approachable
of the freely available unices.  Installation is straightforward, and
the ports tree resolves dependencies to in a manner to similar to the
package based linux distros.

If you're interested in linux, consider having a look at Debian [2].
I've found it to be the most sustainable linux distro as far as being
able to do continuous upgrades without backing up and starting over.
I've also had a better experience with debian's package management
system (apt) than with SuSE or Mandrake, particularly when running
combinations of package and source based apps.

An easy way to evaluate Debian is to check out Knoppix [3] or Gnoppix
[4].  These are live-cd based Debian variants that use the KDE and
Gnome desktop environments respectively.  You can boot into a live
system from a cd without touching your hard drive.  You can even
install from one of these cds and use it as the basis for your Debian
system.

HTH
--
David