[thelist] usability of (form select) drop-down menus

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Mon Aug 30 19:39:28 CDT 2004

hi -
does anyone know of any resources on the usability of drop-down menus,
i.e. ones that use the form select element NOT flyout DHTML ones,
compared to a block of text links?

I have done some googling, but I can't find anything other than
Nielsen
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001112.html

Everything else is either about DHTML menus or about using the LABEL
tag for accessibility. I'm interested in studies on whether a navigation
system using form select list drop-drop menus is more difficult to use
for normal web users.

yours in anticipation

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
Unitec New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
http://tinyurl.com/4956o
The official URL for my staffpage is too long and complex