[thelist] images, overlying and tangent

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 23:05:21 CDT 2004

On Monday, August 30, 2004, at 05:45 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote

> Please look at
> http://www.whitelightening.net/GSC/GSCMain.htm
>
> to see what I am talking about.
>
> Is there any way to get images to overlay each other, or to lie
> tangent to
> each other?
>
> In the example I show, the buttons across the top - home, references,
> biotech, construc.... what I really want is those buttons sitting on
> top of
> or tangent to the line that is underneath them, so it looks like a file
> draw.
>
> Any suggestions?

I think the problem you are seeing is when there are line breaks after
image tags in the code. You see space below the image in the rendered
layout if there is a line break after the end of the image tag. The is
merely because of the implied line-space of the text that would
otherwise be there. The space would be for the descenders of the
letters (such as for the letter "j").

You need to think of some other way to lay out your images and the
black line below so that there will not be any space left over for
descenders. There would be multitudes, such as putting each image in
its own <td>, and a <td> that spans all columns for the black line
below; using css floats for the images and a wrapper div with a black
bottom border for the line; using css to style an unordered list with
background images, etc etc.

It's up to you.