[thelist] CSS layout difficulty: floats

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Tue Aug 31 13:38:43 CDT 2004

Hi,

I'm having some difficulties with a layout problem using float: left
(it's not a two- or three-column page). Maybe someone can shed a little
light on it?

I've got a page layout where there are paragraphs of text, each of
which needs a small hanging icon to the left. You can see a rough
schematic layout here:
	http://studio.stamen.com/open/mps/

My problem is that in IE 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 (but not Mac IE 5), the
"icon" area in the upper "Featured Section" is completely invisible -
no text, no image, no BG color. In the lower "Other Section" it's fine.
I use the same method (icon is floated left, content and title have a
big left margin) in both places, but I can not get the %$#@! thing to
even make an appearance in those browsers.

The difference between the two is that "Featured Section" is a DIV,
while "Other Section" is a TD. What's going on here?

thanks,
-mike.