[thelist] html question dealing with divs, forms, and select/options..

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 12:09:23 CDT 2004

hi...

i have a rather simple test page that i'm trying to set up. i'd like to have
a section with scrollable text, followed by a drop down with a list of
states, which in turn is followed by a list of graphic/gif images...

i'm screwing something up/missing something as the list of .gif images is
not being displayed. if i alter the size of the list, i can get the subset
to be displayed... i'm inclined to believe that what i'm running into is
based on my lack of understanding/familiarity with the div method...

if i replace the graphic image with some 'test' text... the text is
displayed correctly... which has me stumped!

an example of what i'm trying to do:

  |                                                    |
  |                                                    |
  |     +---------------------------+                  |
  |     |                           |                  |
  |     | scrollable text area      |                  |
  |     |                           |                  |
  |     +---------------------------+                  |
  |                                                    |
  |                                                    |
  |     +---------------------+                        |
  |     |                     |                        |
  |     | drop down list      |                        |
  |     |                     |                        |
  |     +---------------------+                        |
  |                                                    |
  |                                                    |
  |                                                    |
  |   list of .gif images                              |
  |   .gif image1                                      |
  |   .gif image2                                      |
  |   .gif image3                                      |
  |   .gif image4                                      |
  |   .gif image5                                      |
  |   etc...                                           |
  |                                                    |

an example of the basic html/logic that i'm using in php

<?
     create the scrollable area

     create the form/select area for the drop down
     <form>
       <select>
          <option></option>
       </select>
       <submit>
     </form>

 for()
 {
   echo ".gif image"
 }

?>

the above is a short approximation of the underlying logic that i'm trying
to implement. i can post/send the actual php that i'm using if anybody's
able to help!!!!

for some reason, the mailman app hasn't added me to the list, so any
repsonses will have to be sent to my email for now. i've contacted the admin
to see about getting me to the list.

thanks for any assistance/poiinters/etc... this is rather simple, but it's
driving me up a wall!!!!!

regards

-bruce