[thelist] Java Download Applet - possible?

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:54:19 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:43:28 +0100, Richard Davey <rdavey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there were any Java bods on this list that might
> know if the following is possible:
>
> I want to either write (or pay to have someone write!) a Java applet
> to use on my web site that is passed a filename as a parameter and
> this file is then downloaded to the users PC and saved in whatever
> location they select. As the file downloads you see a progress bar in
> the Java applet.
>
> I've seen this for file uploads, just not downloads. Is that because
> of the sandbox in which Java runs (i.e. it's just not possible) ?
>
> I'm not fussy as to how the applet gets the file (i.e. it could be
> streamed to the applet via HTTP / FTP or read from the local file
> system).

I think this is how Sun's download manager works when you download
java. I am sure that it can be done, although you would have to have
all the security issues setup properly and you would have to have the
user agree to allowing java to save something onto their machine.
However, this is from a memory (that I have seen this before) and not
from fact, so I could be wrong.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd