[thelist] google droped my http: page

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net
Fri Sep 3 08:59:46 CDT 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 10:14, Rich Points wrote:
> Howdy,
> I have a home page that Google has a page rank of zero, sort of.
> Normally I get a page rank of 6.  I only see the zero page rank on
> the http:// page, if I add http://www to the url the page rank shows
> it's normal 6.  This happened in July and the returned to a 6 in
> August.  Now in September my http:// page has returned to zero again.
>  When I search for my site in Google it shows up as normal and it
> points to the http://www. page.
>
> What's going on?  Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior from
> Google?

Well, http://example.com and http://www.example.com are actually
*different* sites as far as the URL specifications are concerned.
There's nothing saying one has to redirect to the other or that they
have to have the same content.

A search engine can't slop everything under one domain as the same site
because you have domains like livejournal.com where usernames are used
as the third-level domain, .uk where the second level domain is used
the same way .edu and .com are used, .us where you have state- and
city-level domains, and the list goes on.

The solution is to have one redirect all links to the other. I
personally would redirect example.com to www.example.com (with the idea
of having a host under that domain CNAME'd to www), whereas some people
believe in doing it the other way around.

--
Shawn K. Quinn