[thelist] Java Download Applet - possible?

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Fri Sep 3 23:59:06 CDT 2004

Richard Davey wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:50:34 +0600, raditha dissanayake
><jabber at raditha.com> wrote:
>

>>Certainly can be done with signed applets but I see little purpose in
>>doing it the way that you have described because the browser can do it
>>just as well.
>>

>I take it you mean via an automatically refreshing page that links
>back to some Perl script monitoring the send request, or similar? This
>isn't really an option, I can't see the point putting that kind of
>load on a server to refresh all the time just to display a progress
>bar that would never be that accurate. A byte for byte count applet +
>progress bar is what I am after.
>

>If you meant that most browsers will show that information in the
>download window itself, that is true, but I was hoping the applet
>could stream a sequence of a files, one after the other after the
>other. As one finishes, the next starts. A browser won't do that
>natively AFAIK.

Perhaps I misunderstood your orignal post and my message was indeed
referring to one file at a time and obviously a progress indicator is
availble. It is indeed possible to download several files at a time
using an applet. If I may be permitted a shameless plug - our company
has an alpha version of an applet that looks and feels pretty much like
an SFTP or FTP applet but all transfers are over HTTP - so i can say for
sure this is not impossible :-)

--
Raditha Dissanayake.