[thelist] Taking over a Web site

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Sun Sep 5 17:40:33 CDT 2004

#1) The design company "owns" it.
    They can do what they will with it.

    Now, you can appeal to get it, but that begins a $1,500US.

    But then again, it doesn't mean you can't ask nicely and see what
they say.

    We had a client some years ago that had an EDU domain, before the
    rules changed. They moved to us, their original ISP "owned" the
    domain. Would not transfer it. They let it lapse (some months later)
    and then my client could not get it back because they no longer
    met the requirements for EDU.

#2) The old owner paid the original design company for the site?

    If so, then the original owner owns the site and the design.
    And since he sold it to your friend, he now owns it.

    So, just transfer the files to your server and have fun!

Good luck.

Walter