[thelist] Rich Internet Application

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 08:32:32 CDT 2004

On Thu,  9 Sep 2004 07:26:32 -0500, evolt at mccullough-net.com
<evolt at mccullough-net.com> wrote:

> Here is my problem.  I need to redo it.  Too many fixes for the current one,
> including one part which is a total rip and redo.  Looking for some advice
> becuase I dont have all the answers (shock and awe) Flash vs Applet.  I'm
> worried that Flash will not be able to provide the updating capabilities that
> will be needed with new products or product types (ie some will be totally
> customizable where some will allow lettering or a logo)

Generally, Flash can do anything that an Applet can do. In addition,
the Flash plugin is installed on a lot more computers than Java is. If
you link Flash to a programming language, like Java, through Flash
Remoting, than updating will be no problem as Flash will take all the
info that it needs from a database.

What language is the original app programmed in? If it is Java, the
nice thing about Flash Remoting is that you may be able to reuse a lot
of the backend components instead of having to rewrite everything from
scratch.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd