[thelist] CSS technique for forms?

Debes, Brandon bdebes at bellarmine.edu
Thu Sep 9 10:13:56 CDT 2004

> Specifically, the standard format of one value per line with
> a label in front, such as:
>
>    Name:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>    Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>    Phone: XXXXXXXXXXX
>
> Tables were an easy way to vertically align the labels and
> the fields

You're right.  They are!

I still achieve this effect with tables.  In a sense, it is tabular
information (with the implied column headings of 'label' and
'response').  I've seen others mark this up as a definition list and
then style the heck out of it, but that looks far more hackish to me
than a table in this case.  Even CSS diehards like me realize that
tables still have a place in markup.  And this is one such place.

I say stick to your guns, but there will probably be three replies after
me suggesting some obfuscated markup alternative and 6Kb of styles.

Brandon