[thelist] is Tufte worth buying?

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Sep 10 18:35:18 CDT 2004

I'm working on more and more complex web generated tables from various
data stores. My users are generally satisfied with the visual
presentation of the data, but I'd like to move from 'good enough' to
'excellent.'

The reviews of Tufte's books at Amazon.com seem to be 90% worship, 10%
cursing. Are the 90% blinded, or are the 10% just misguided?

If the company would spring for the fifty bucks, is reading Tufte going
to help me hone my skills in visual presentation of data via web tools?

joel

<tip>
Computers don't forgive spelling errors. When communicating information
over the phone to a client, coworker, etc., if exact spelling is
critical (such as a temporary site address, your email address or
mailing address) learn and use the phonetic alphabet (the 'Alpha Bravo
Charlie') You can get it from
http://www.dynamoo.com/technical/phonetic.htm, or any number of web
locations. Post a simple copy by the phone, and before long, you'll have
it memorized. Using the NATO version also sounds better than groping for
a word that starts with that letter.
</tip>