[thelist] Code Critique

Travis travis at mediastill.com
Mon Sep 13 16:44:20 CDT 2004

Hi All,

Hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction...

I've been studying and practicing php and mysql in combo fairly rigourously
for just over a year now.  I'm quite confident in my ability to write
small-scale apps for specific purposes, however, I am completely
self-taught, so I also suspect that there are some things that I am not
doing 'properly.'

Anyhow, recently I got saddled with a project that is 'medium' sized - a
compact cms for managing a variety of documents and records through the web.

I've gone ahead and written this thing, and it works perfectly.  However, it
is also larger than anything I've done before, and there are some aspects of
it which, even though they work fine, I am not certain are completely
'correct' - ie did I design my data and action objects in the best possible
way, or could they / should they be tightened up here and there in the
interests of best practices.

I'm wondering if any of you are aware of any sort of resource where expert
programmers will offer 'critiques' on one's code, for a fee.  (I've already
hunted the net looking for courses, etc, but it seems that most of what is
available online is fairly introductory.  I am looking for very specific,
very focussed answers to hard questions that deal specifically with my own
code - something more in-depth than the the kinds of answers one would get,
say, from posting one's code on a php-developers forum.  At this point in my
progress I feel this is the best way I could improve as a developer.)

If anyone is aware of this kind of a service (or for that matter offers one,
grin) I'd be greatful if you could let me know.

Thanks!

-Travis

---