[thelist] Edward Tufte (appropriated from a Digest reply)

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Sep 13 19:01:51 CDT 2004

Message from BT (9/12/2004 10:50 AM)
>Is Tufte worth buying?
>
>As someone who owns his three books and has attended one of his
>seminars, I would say: save your money.  Don't get me wrong, he's a nice
>person with great presentation skills who entertains an audience via his
>words or physical presence.  I have not learned anything "new" from him.
>I have had lessons "reconfirmed" by him.

You won't believe the value there is in having your opinions "reconfirmed"
by the experts. Saying "I think we should use little M&Ms in the graph
instead of red and blue lines" carries a whole lot less weight than "Edward
Tufte said..."

That's why academics spend so much time and effort on their bibliographies.
Many of the most successful people with Harvard MBAs probably didn't need
the MBA to succeed in the first place. But having a piece of paper from
Harvard that says they're good at what they do makes life a lot simpler
than the alternative.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/