[thelist] preventing indexing of a folder online

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Tue Sep 14 11:54:03 CDT 2004

Theodore Serbinski wrote:

> hi all! got a quick question. we are putting internal company specific
> information online, that requires a login. all of these pages are
> setup to be password protected and this seems to work great, at least
> from our  homemade PHP authentication system.
>
> i am just wondering what other things i can do to further secure this
> directory, against it being index by search engines (is robots.txt
> good enough?) and from other people figuring it out it exists. i am
> running windows 2003. thanks!

Moving to apache + linux is one big step in making your system more
secure. If a particular directory needs a login for access it will not
be indexed by search engines. There is nothing you can do about people
guessing it's existence. Finally you might want to alter your
authentication system so that passwords are at least 6 characters in length.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.