[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Tue Sep 14 16:27:55 CDT 2004

Ken Chase wrote:
> I'm lacking inspiration today and need to create an employee directory
> for my company. I can't seem to find anything very elegant in my
> searches.
> Here's the criteria:
> - I don't have access to a database. Everything must be static HTML
> (valid)

Scott Harman replied:
> I'm lacking inspiration today and need to create an employee directory
> for my company. I can't seem to find anything very elegant in my
> searches.
> Here's the criteria:
> - I don't have access to a database. Everything must be static HTML
> (valid)
[Ken didn't take to this reply]

and Hassan Schroeder replied:
> In any case, if you can't do this dynamically, I'd suggest your only
> maintainable option is to put the employee information in a single
> file (XML, CSV, whatever) and then generate your static pages using
> make, Ant, XSLT, Perl -- whatever you're most comfortable with.
This is the model I was going to recommend.  Think "Movable Type"
style.  Heck, you could probably just install Movable Type, customize
a template, and "recommend" the responses to the various fields if you
were familiar enough with it and willing to be really quick-and-dirty.

That said, you have said 'no database' but have not explained why.
You also did not comment on the availability of scripting languages.

If you will excuse the hyperbole, you asked us how to build a house
without a hammer.  You didn't bother to tell us why you are biased
against hammers or what tools you *do* have available, so plenty of
patience is in order while we shake down the details you did not
volunteer.

regards,
Steve Lewis