[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory - prt 2

Brian Delaney brian.delaney at mccmh.net
Wed Sep 15 09:48:55 CDT 2004

There are free versions of SQL like mysql . I have built a staff
directory that has similar functionality to what
you are looking for. I use IIS and asp/java. Without a database or
server side scripting, not sure how much functionality
you will have.

Ken Chase wrote:

>>>Here's the criteria:
>>>

>>>- I don't have access to a database. Everything must be static
>>>  HTML (valid)
>>>- JavaScript is the only programming option
>>>- The e-mail address must be a link which populates an
>>>  e-mail form
>>>

>>The last two points are contradictory.
>>
>>I would ask what the "e-mail form" is for.
>>
>>The mailto: (or JS option) would link to the users mail app.
>>
>>But the use of a form demands the use of a back-end process, meaning a
>>programming option beyond JS.
>>
>>So, if you need to have an HTML form, and that form be mailed to
>>someone, then you have no choice but to use some server-side language,
>>like Perl or PHP.
>>
>>If this idea is just to send someone a letter, than no problem. The
>>mailto: (or JS option) will open the mail app by itself.
>>
>>Just thought I'd mention that.
>>
>>Walter
>>

>Thanks to everyone who has responded. Although I should have asked my
>question differently, I'm glad that I didn't because I've received a lot
>of good ideas that I would have ignored otherwise.
>
>I should have mentioned that our publishing system (built on top of
>Lotus Notes) has built in functionality that allows us to create simple
>e-mail forms. I don't have much control over them, but I'll figure out a
>way to get the e-mail addresses from the employee directory page to the
>e-mail form.
>
>I am part of an extremely large organization and I do not have access to
>the server. I would have to pay our internal programmers for any
>customized server-side development work and they only support J2EE and
>Oracle (BTW - I can't have Notes customized).
>
>Although I fully understand that using a database and scripting language
>is the way to go for this type of product, it would be cost prohibitive
>to my department.
>
>---- Revised Question ---------------
>
>I guess would I should have asked is:
>
>"Does anyone have any examples of/suggestions for an elegantly designed
>employee directory that does not make use of server side
>technologies/databases?" (for example, show/hide functionality using
>DOM/CSS/ECMA Script).
>
>I have something similar to this right now (with a few more employees
>and a single column):
>
>http://webdb.iu.edu/InternationalServices/scripts/ois/staffListing.cfm
>
>1. My main goal is to improve functionality and accessibility
>
>2. I only have have 450px width to work with (I can’t change this) which
>makes for a long vertical scroll.
>
>At this point, I'm mostly looking for general inspiration with regards
>to functionality and design as opposed to recommendations for specific
>technologies.
>
>Thanks so much, respect
>kenbo

*
*
*
This message, including any attachments, is intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or priveleged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this communication(s) is expressly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy any and all copies of the original message.