[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory - prt 2

Scott Harman scott at harman.tv
Wed Sep 15 10:11:11 CDT 2004

That's pretty harsh - I had exactly the same situation with notes
servers in a previous company - so simply installed apache/php and mysql
on a spare box.
It's worth even putting it on your own - showing how sexy it is to your
manager... Then either getting him/her to cough up for a shiny new box
as your new toy, or as the new server if you don't have a spare machine
if you don't like accumulating shiny new toys!
I'd probably take a JS rollup route in mind of what you've just said.
It's surprising - I know of nobody using Notes/Domino for publishing
systems anymore - the last one I personally knew of was taken offline
about 6 years ago!
450px is plenty of room to work with - maybe photo alongside name, which
is clickable to roll-out contact details.  Utterly impractical, but
looks dead sexy.  There are plenty of really good examples:

http://persistent.info/archives/2004/04/09/sidebar
http://www.liquidpulse.net/software/javascript/dynamic_content/content_r
oll_updown_toggle

Then use summary in divs for screenreader support and accesibility = few
other hints around if you google.

Scotty