[thelist] Tunneling on Windows...

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Mon Sep 20 11:54:15 CDT 2004

> http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/
>
> We run everything in tunnel mode, but it is capable of using bridged
> adapters, placing all connected computers on the same virtual
> ethernet.
> Tunneling just seems to perform better for my needs.  If you have at
> least one machine with a reliably resolveable host name, you
> can set up
> tunneling to support many machines behind NAT connections
> communicating
> freely with many machines behind other NAT connections.

I have a LAN behind a NAT in my home office. I use Windows VPN to connect to
our business server. The problem is that only one machine on my LAN at a
time can connect to the VPN, so if my workstation is connected, my boss (on
the VPN also) can not see my local server (to see what great work I'm doing)
because it doesn't have the VPN on it. I furthermore have no real interest
in opening up my local development server to the world.

We were thinking of buying a NAT-enabled DSL router that could establish the
NAT itself and thus allow both my machines to be on the VPN, but it's a bit
expensive ($400).

Could OpenVPN allow me to do this? Have both my machines on the VPN at the
same time? Or perhaps someone has another solution? All machines involved
are running Windows 2K (Pro and Server).

Thanks,
Hershel