[thelist] Interface to add and reorder items on a list

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Sep 23 08:36:39 CDT 2004

Message from Matt Warden (9/22/2004 02:52 PM)
>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:03:25 -0400, Bill Creswell <billc at vaneerden.com> wrote:
> > I store items in a table that includes order guide name, and sequences
> > in another table, displaying them together for a customer to order from
> > on the web.
> > I am trying to figure out how to give the customer the ability to choose
> > what items on their Order Guide, and in what order.
> > The function would be like this
> > http://guymal.com/mycode/select_box_manipulation/?right_select=bill%40ms
> > .com&right_select=bart%40brat.com
> > although I don't know if that is practical for a 150-400 item
> > orderguide.
> >
> > Anyone do anything like this that I could take a look at? I am using
> > IIS/ASP
>

>If you're not into java, there's also the solution that involves a
>small input box next to each item, in which holds an integer
>representing its relative order:
>

>[ 1 ] foo
>[ 2 ] bar
>[ 3 ] foobar
>[ n ] barfoo
>
>To re-order, the user would change the numbers:
>
>[ n-1 ] foo
>[ 2 ] bar
>[ n ] foobar
>[ 3 ] barfoo
>
>I hate this design, because it's a lot of work on the user to figure
>out what changes need to be made in order to, say, move the nth item
>to the 3rd item, and move the 3rd to the n-1th item down one place --
>and other such otherwise simple operations.

I've seen a system like this in place on a photo-hosting site. Name eludes
me at the moment. But the default numbers have intervals of 10

10 - First item
20 - Second item
...100 - Tenth item.

Makes it easier to take item ten and assign it as 25 to get it between the
2nd and 3rd items.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/