[thelist] Flash Remoting MX v Flash Communications Server MX

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:24:13 CDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:38:32 +0100, Gavin Lilley <gavin at crispuk.net> wrote:
> Im confused about these two products, can anyone help me?
>
> I would like to develop RIA using the Flash MX data facilities, as I believe
> this will improve the performance over my current php/sql producing xml
> setup. I think that it will also make development easier as I will not have
> to code any php to create xml and handle the database updates from post
> variables.

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. Flash
Remoting is a way of pairing a Flash front end with a scripted
backend. This means that the user uses and interacts with a gui
created in Flash and Flash is able to get all of its data from a
backend created in CFMX, Java, or .NET. However, Flash remoting would
not be able to link to a database, create an XML file and then serve
that xml file out to a RSS client.

If you wanted to create a live interactive video feed or a chat server
or a chat room that used voice you would use Flash Communication
Server. It is more designed for real time push technologies like a
chat session as opposed to apps where Flash is simply trying to
retrieve or send data to a database.

Does this help?

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd