[thelist] Maintenance Agreements

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Fri Sep 24 17:38:19 CDT 2004

Message from Kyle Murphy (9/24/2004 06:19 PM)
>I have recently launched a site that will require ongoing maintenance and I
>need to come up with a maintenance agreement for my client.  We have agreed
>on a base price, but I'm not sure how I will quantify it.
>
>Does anybody have a good system of setting up an ongoing maintenance
>agreement with a larger client?
>
>I was thinking that we charge our base fee & it includes up to a certain #
>of hours a month (say 10 hours) & anything on top of that will be billed
>separately.  The problem here is that I don't want to have to track my
>hours.

You can't sell tomatoes buy the pound if you're unwilling to weigh pounds,
or eggs by the dozen if you don't count the eggs. Why think you can sell
hours without tracking them?

Your base fee for x hours + additional time billed separately is a sound
model. If you don't want to track hours try finding a balance where your
monthly retainer is high enough that it covers your time most months (which
will ultimately require that you track hours to have an idea of how much
time you actually dedicate to the job).

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/